Saturday, July 19, 2008

Skull & Skeleton Fabrics

I know. I'm weird. Who in the world would buy fabrics with skulls and skeletons on them? Well, I have a brother who could probably use a quilt. I don't know what he's sleeping on now, but if it isn't a cardboard box or the floor, it's most likely a couch. He has very cold winters and can't afford to buy most things that a lot of us take for granted.

In his heyday, he was a Deadhead. That's a fan of the music band called "The Grateful Dead". I thought he might tolerate me making him a quilt if it reminded him of Jerry Garcia.

I have no idea how I am going to piece these fabrics yet. They don't exactly match. The orange batik fabric is a bit out of place, but so beautiful that I couldn't pass it up.

3 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Those are cool fabrics!

Maybe take the batik print and use it in the center or as a border?

I'm sure whatever you do it will look great! And your brother will love it :)

Cheryl Ann said...

Do you sell your quilts?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Some time ago when I was bored and frustrated with my current career as a software tester, I wanted to go into business for myself. One of the businesses I was entertaining was selling quilts. However, I realized that the only way I could make the cost of materials plus the amount of my time to equal out to a price was to sell them for thousands of dollars each. You have to be a fairly well known artist to charge that amount, which I am not, but I still need to pay the bills. I decided to just make quilts as a hobby, and if it takes me five years to complete one quilt, so be it. If I didn't have a fulltime job, plus all the other responsibilities at home, I could make them much faster. If I ever get to a point where I have more quilts than I need, I might put them up for sale here.