Saturday, July 7, 2018

Two Finished Needlepoint Pillows

I finally did it!  I think it took longer for me to piece the pillows together than it took for me to complete the two needlepoint canvases, but now I have the perfect lap pillows to set my laptop on while working.

The needlepoint canvas on the left is Design Works "Watercolor Floral" 12" x 12" Needlepoint Kit, which contains a 12 count interlock canvas printed in full color, acrylic yarns, needle and instructions.  The one on the right is Design Works "Peacock" 12" x 12" Needlepoint Kit with all the same contents.  Backing fabric, decorative edging, and pillow inserts or frames are not included.  Here's a picture of the backing fabric's I chose:

I'm impressed with my choices, because the coloring, subject matter, and style match the needlepoint images pretty well.  The instructions say to leave one edge open and hand sew it closed once the pillow form or stuffing is put in, but I like to make pockets so that the pillow forms can easily be slipped in and out.  The pillow on the left has a 3" overlay for the pocket, while the pillow on the right has a 4" overlay.  As you can see, the 4" overlay worked out better because the backing sits nicer and doesn't appear to be bulging at the seams.  For my pillow forms I used Acanva Home Collection 12" squares.


My life got turned upside down recently when my oldest mare colicked and had to be tubed by the vet, my oldest dog began urinating and vomiting all over the carpet, and I broke my toe on the shower door railing all within a few minutes of each other.  All that served as just one more reminder (or three) that time is of the essence and I have to get down to business and complete these various projects when I've got downtime and when I have two legs and two arms (and enough digits) to get the jobs done.

No comments: