Saturday, August 15, 2020

Purple Roses Purse

One pocket on the front...


Two pockets on the back...

Six pockets on the inside!


That's a record for me.  And they are different sizes.
There is a pocket specifically for a pen!
Do you know how often I dig through my purse for a pen?
Search no more.


I had trouble with my last purse of this design when sewing binding to the inside corners, so I opted not to use the binding on the inside this time.  I tried using my serger for that task, but there were too many layers for it to sew through, so I just did an overedge stitch on my sewing machine.  It's not pretty, but the seams will hold.  

I struggled making the darts on the bottom corners this time, so the bottom insert wouldn't fit.  I don't think the purse even needs that part.  This particular pattern instructs me to use plastic needlepoint canvas for the bottom shelf.  My other tote pattern instructs me to use cardboard.  I've learned that cardboard definitely does not work with this particular purse like it does with the totes.  So, if I get a nicely shaped bottom on any future purses of this model, I'll try the needlepoint canvas option.  Although, I'd much prefer to use that canvas for needlepoint projects instead of wrapping it in fabric and shoving it into the bottom of a purse to make it flat and sturdy.

The other big change I made this time around was to sandwich polyester batting in between the fabrics instead of fleece.  Fleece is more expensive, but easier to work with.  The polyester batting gives the purse more of a quilted look and feel.  However, I had to keep trimming the edges while using the polyester batting in order to get all the layers even enough to apply the binding, and that's why the bottom ended up being too narrow for a hard insert.

No comments: