Sunday, January 3, 2010

By George - I Think I've Got It!

I gave my attempt at creating waves on the backing one last try. Since the shape of the waves had already been cut out of the fabric, I had to cut the freezer paper along the seam, leaving room to fold the fabric over. I had to pin the freezer paper on as I cut it, and then lay the monstrosity on the ironing board.

The first thing I noticed was that the seam wouldn't fold over unless I cut slits in the hills and dales. The next thing I noticed was that right where the seam folded over at the slits, the hills came out pointed. Perhaps I should cut a V shape instead of just a slit for better results. However, I wasn't too concerned, as I can sew over the points to create curves with the thread.

I also learned that I should remove the pins before ironing each section, because if I barely touch a plastic pinhead with the iron, it melts.

It's all a learning process.

No comments: