Saturday, January 30, 2010

On a Roll Now

Now that I have finally figured out the engineering aspects of how to create the backing I envisioned, I'm on a roll. I fold the seam over freezer paper, iron it all down, and pin it to the piece I want to overlap.

Then I sew it on using an over-edge stretch stitch. I felt that if I just used a straight stitch, I'd probably not catch the entire length of seam. Plus this wider stitch allows me to cover up the points where I would rather there be curves. If I don't clip the curve just right, it comes out as a point, but I figure I've spent too many years working on this quilt to be a perfectionist now. I just want something warm on my bed that hasn't been shredded by our dog's toenails.

Next I tear the freezer paper off. I have never worked with freezer paper before, and am pleased with its ease of use. It's easy to cut, easy to iron on, easy to sew through, and easy to tear off.

Once that layer is done, I start all over with the next strip of fabric to make beach waves overlapping other beach waves.

No comments: