Thursday, March 8, 2012

Brian's Grateful Dead Quilt

Years ago I found some fabric that slightly resembled the logos of the band The Grateful Dead. My brother Brian was a loyal groupie of the band and still occasionally goes to concerts of cover bands that imitate The Grateful Dead.  I bought the fabric with the intention of using it to design a bed quilt for my brother, however life got a hold of me and the fabric just sat in a basket for years on end. 

Upon rediscovering the fabric, I designed a quilt using ElectricQuilt5 software.  Because the featured prints were so large, I had to include sizable window blocks.  I used the smaller prints, which displayed dancing skeletons and skulls, for borders.  Last weekend I picked up a white calico fabric for the inner border and a black musical note fabric for the outside border.

I was really proud of myself because I managed to sew the entire top together over a period of three days.  I think my motive was that I need to tear down my quilt rack to move, and wanted to finish this quilt before doing so.  Now I just need to cut the right size piece of batting and put something together for a backing, and I can attach the layers to my quilt rack and quilt it all together.

I'm hoping to have the entire project done by next weekend so that I can ship it off to Brian.  It would have been nice if I finished it before winter or for his birthday, which is in winter, but we can't always get what we want.

No comments: