Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Life Story


See that bobbin sitting on my quilt?  That's how close I was to the end of this quilting project before the bobbin thread ran out.  Oh, I don't mind winding the bobbin with fresh thread, but I hate having to spend what feels like hours adjusting and readjusting the top and bottom thread tension once I put a new, full bobbin into the machine.  Had the old thread held out until the end of the project, I could have been done quilting in literally two minutes.  Instead it took me two hours to get through this last row and a half of stitches.  That's my life story.  I'm the runner who trips over her own shoelaces just seconds before she's about the cross the finish line.

To make matters worse, when I did finally finish those two rows, I accidentally stitched the quilt to the leader fabric on the quilt rack, so now I get to spend hours ripping out the last row to free my quilt from the rack, and then I will have to re-sew the last row off the rack on another machine.  The last few steps are always the hardest, even though you have all that experience behind you.  Oh well, at least I will be able to dismantle my quilt rack soon and put it back in its box.   I know that if I were retired or a professional quilter, I'd be doing this activity more often and be more aware of the potential hazards, and therefore be able avoid such pitfalls, but so is life.

No comments: