Saturday, January 5, 2008

First Child


My first quilt was called "First Child." It is a twin-sized bed spread constructed from the clothes that my daughter wore between the ages of 2 and 8. Children's clothes are loaded with interesting patterns and color schemes. The quilt is composed of 9 rows of 6 "Dutchman's Wheels," 8-inch blocks separated by mauve, rose, and rust borders. "Flying Geese" line the outside border. The backing is a dusty-blue rose print. The pieces were rotary cut and hand-sewn. The layers were tied together with triple French knots originally, but they easily broke since my daughter has kept the quilt on her bed for 7 years now. I quilted a train of elephants on it to hold it together years later. The quilt was started around January of 2000 and completed around August of 2000. It was given to my daughter shortly after she turned 10-years-old.

No comments: