Saturday, January 5, 2008

The First Stitch

I vividly remember the day I decided to start quilting. I had been working 60 to 80 hours a week as a software tester and desperately needed to relieve some stress. Though out of character for me, I left my computer to take a long walk and ended up in the stationary aisle of a supermarket. There on the cover of a quilting magazine was the most extraordinary design of pieced fabric I had ever seen. Just looking at it relaxed me, so I bought it and kept the magazine on my desk at the office until I finally found the time to pick up some quilting supplies of my own.

I soon found myself hand-piecing various quilts in my recliner each evening before bed, and slept much better after all that sewing. The meditative quality of pushing and pulling a needle and thread was just what I needed to lower my blood pressure and gather my wits at the end of each day. Shopping for fabric for current and future projects became a favorite past-time, and I found that I was most attracted to vivid colors, mostly purples and greens. After a while I had to balance out my stash with other colors and varying shades of lights, mediums, and darks.

I have an old New Home sewing machine that has served me well. However, as I became more ambitious with my quilting, I needed a long-arm machine in order to sew my bed quilts. So, I bought a long-arm Brother sewing machine and quilting rack to rein in all those layers of fabric and batting. My quilting frame usually has a quilt on it, and is the first thing that people see when they enter my home. I am often asked if I sell my quilts, and my answer is always that I hope to someday, but I can't seem to let go of the ones I've already made.

My fabric stash: All the blues are missing, because I am in the middle of piecing a king-sized Storm at Sea bed quilt.

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

So between riding and playing with your horses, and sewing.....you are one relaxed chic, right? :)

I'm enjoying seeing this side of you. You have such natural born talent. Did you each yourself to quilt?
Purples and greens are also favorites of mine, too.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Twinville - Yes, I taught myself how to quilt with the help of books and magazines. I tend to avoid steps that need to be done to really create quality work, because I think I can get away with shortcuts, only to regret it later.