Saturday, January 5, 2008

Jungle Luscious


"Jungle Luscious" is a lap quilt with an irregular shaped edge and zebra stripes for a border. The main colors are a plant leaf green and orange. A jungle fabric was used that contained animals, plants and flowers cut and pieced into a kaleidoscope (Paula Nadelstern) / stack-n-whack (Bethany S. Reynolds) pattern with six 60-degree triangles. Quilted with a long arm machine on a rack, which was challenging because the needle couldn't penetrate the center where six pieces met, so I had to swing around the centers. Since there was such a radical change in thickness of fabric based on how many pieces met at the seams, the sewing machine kept jumping and the stitches came out sloppy and uneven. There was one corner where the backing and the binding didn't meet. The quilt is interesting to look at from a distance, but the stitching is horrendous. It took one or two years to complete the quilt, because I was so busy. I finished it in August of 2005.

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ok, I am flabbergasted! At first I didn't much care for this one. Looked a little too busy for my taste.
But then I clicked on the photo to make it larger, and was quite literally blown away! Jaw dropping impressive.
I am becoming very impressed with this side of you. You, girlfriend, have serious talent.
I bet you have won awards and ribbons for your quilts.

They are really THAT good!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Twinville - I haven't ever entered my quilts in any contests. I'd have to get more serious about the little things that judges look at first.